Krita is a free and open source illustration and painting graphics software suite which performs quite nicely for those with a creative side.
Though many people use expensive software like Adobe Photoshop these days, Krita is an excellent alternative with its own niche. It can be used to create all different types of art and illustrations including those for designers, game creators or cartoons. Some of its features rival that of commercial juggernauts.
The layout of Krita looks familiar, featuring a number of different drawing tools to the left, similar to Photoshop. The top menu has what you might already be used to with menu items such as File, Edit, View, Image, Layer, Select, Filter, Tools, Settings, Window and Help; quite similar again to Photoshop.
With all of the similarities to Adobe Photoshop out of the way, Krita features a number of tools which actually seem more intuitive than its commercial counterparts; It comes with 9 preset brushes for painting images like a pen, marker, pencil, etc.
The next version 3.1.3 can be more interesting because it will be a sort of Krita 3 final. A big 'bug fix release' before Krita jumping to the big change of Krita 4 ( with new text tool, SVG ). The team of Krita put a lot of efforts into getting compatibility across version for the Krita files format (.kra ). Releases 4.3.0 2020-06-18 Three months after the release of Krita 4.2.9, we’ve got a major new feature release for you: Krita 4.3.0! We’ve spent the past year not just fixing bugs, even though we fixed over a thousand issues, but have also been busy adding cool new stuff to play with.
The Image menu of Krita provides access to different image manipulation tools such as mirror, flip, rotate, shear image, color space conversion, image split and more. The layer menu does some of what the image menu does and more, as you would expect from specific layer editing options.
As a powerful image editor, Krita also provides a number of filters built-in like artistic effects, blurring, sharpening and various enhancements.
Digging in a bit deeper reveals a lot of different gems within Krita and those with artistic inclinations may be tempted to spend a bit more time playing around with the tools and image enhancement features Krita offers.
Overall, Krita is an excellent image editing and paint suite which is fully capable of providing artists and designers with a bunch of free tools otherwise costing quite a bit.
Krita can add text to an image, apply special effects to a picture, create web graphics and create and edit layers.
Features and highlights
- Intuitive user interface
- Stabilizer brush to smoothen it out
- Pick your color and brush by right-clicking on the canvas
- Over 9 unique brush engines
- Create seamless textures and patterns
- Import brush and texture packs from other artists
- Highly configurable interface
Krita 4.4.3 on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs
This download is licensed as freeware for the Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system on a laptop or desktop PC from graphics editors without restrictions. Krita 4.4.3 is available to all software users as a free download for Windows. As an open source project, you are free to view the source code and distribute this software application freely.
The program was created by the developer as a freeware product, but donations for the continued development are highly appreciated. You may generally make a donation via the developer's main web site.Filed under:
- Krita Download
- Freeware Graphics Editors
- Open source and GPL software
- Major release: Krita 4.4
- Digital Painting Software
Krita Desktop is a free an open source painting application. Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry. Krita has been in development for over 10 years and has had an explosion in growth recently. It offers many common and innovative features to help the amateur and professional alike.
Krita has a user-friendly interface. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
In addition to painting, Krita comes with vector, filter, group, and file layers. Combine, order, and flatten layers to help your artwork stay organized. There are also three different views on how to see the layers.
Krita supports full color management through LCMS for ICC and OpenColor IO for EXR, allowing you to incorporate Krita into your existing color management pipeline.
Open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open. Load and save to PSD when you need to take your artwork across different programs.
Krita is the only dedicated painting application that lets you open, save, edit and author HDR and scene-deffered images. Furthermore, with OCIO and OpenEXR support, you can manipulate the view to examine HDR images, and use it in the most cutting edge workflows from the film and visual effects industries.
Krita 3.3.0 changelog:
- Alvin Wong has implemented support for the Windows 8 event API, which means that Krita now supports the n-trig pen in the Surface line of laptops (and similar laptops from Dell, HP and Acer) natively. This is still very new, so you have to enable this in the tablet settings.
- Refactored Krita’s hardware-accelerated display functionality to optionally use Angle on Windows instead of native OpenGL. That means that many problems with Intel display chips and broken driver versions are worked around because Krita now can use Direct3D indirectly.
There are more changes in this release, of course:
- Some visual glitches when using hi-dpi screens are fixed (remember: on Windows and Linux, you need to enable this in the settings dialog).
- If you create a new image from clipboard, the image will have a title
- Favorite blending modes and favorite brush presets are now loaded correctly on startup
- the plugin has been updated to the latest version for Windows and Linux.
- the configuration for setting the path to the plugin has been removed. Krita looks for the plugin in the folder where the krita executable is, and optionally inside a folder with a name that starts with ‘gmic’ next to the krita executable.
- there are several fixes for handling layers and communication between Krita and the plugin
Some websites save jpeg images with a .png extension: that used to confuse Krita, but Krita now first looks inside the file to see what kind of file it really is.
- 16 and 32 bit floating point images are now converted to 16 bit integer when saving the images as PNG.
- It’s now possible to save the alpha channel to PNG images even if there are no (semi-) transparent pixels in the image
- When hardware accelerated display is disabled, the color picker mode of the brush tool showed a broken cursor; this has been fixed.
- The Reference Images docker now only starts loading images when it is visible, instead on Krita startup. Note: the reference images docker uses Qt’s imageio plugins to load images. If you are running on Linux, remove all Deepin desktop components. Deepin comes with severely broken qimageio plugins that will crash any Qt application that tries to display images.
- File layers now correctly reload on change again
Add several new commandline options:
- –nosplash to start Krita without showing the splash screen
- –canvasonly to start Krita in canvas-only mode
- –fullscreen to start Krita full-screen
- –workspace Workspace to start Krita with the given workspace
- The Select All action now first clears the selection before selecting the entire image
- It is now possible to extend selections outside the canvas boundary
- Performance improvements: in several places superfluous reads from the settings were eliminated, which makes generating a layer thumbnail faster and improves painting if display acceleration is turned off.
- The smart number input boxes now use the current locale to follow desktop settings for numbers
- The system information dialog for bug reports is improved
macOS/OSX specific changes
- Bernhard Liebl has improved the tablet/stylus accuracy. The problem with circles having straight line segments is much improved, though it’s not perfect yet.
- On macOS/OSX systems with and AMD gpu, support for hardware accelerated display is disabled because saving to PNG and JPG hangs Krita otherwise.
Download: Krita 3.3.0 (32-bit) Portable ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Krita 3.3.0 (64-bit) Portable
Download: Krita Windows App Store (commercial software)
View: Krita Home Page
Krita 32 Bit
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware